Reel lawn mower --- roller bracket

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Reel lawn mower --- roller bracket

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:03 pm

For years now, I've been using a reel lawn mower, and the plastic roller brackets have been an on-going point of failure --- I cut my grass at the highest possible setting, but there are two additional setting holes which create weak points at which the brackets usually break after a couple of years of use.Drew up a new version of the part w/ only the one setting hole using OpenSCAD:

Code: Select all

difference()
{
union()
{
cube([75,18,9]);
translate([0,9,0])
	cylinder(h=14,r=11);
translate([6,5,6.5])
	rotate([0,30,0])
	cube(8.25);
}
translate([0,9,4])
	cylinder(h=11,r=7);
translate([65,9,-1])
	cylinder(h=12,r=4.5);
translate([60.5,4.5,4.5])
cube([9,9,9]);
};
exported as a .stl, and then sliced it w/ a 100% infill and printed on my RepStrapOko.Not too much effort to replace a $1.25 part (https://www.reelin.com/ItemGroupItems.a ... GroupID=58 30321-1 - PLASTIC ROLLER BRACKET $1.25 ) w/ something better, esp. considering that it's not stocked locally.

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Re: Reel lawn mower --- roller bracket

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:54 pm

One might wish to change the first cube to:

Code: Select all

cube([105,18,9]);
which would extend it further up and make the part stiffer --- I suppose if one wished one could also measure the spacing on the holes and add a second carriage bolt....

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

criznach

Post by criznach » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Very nice! It's great that you're already putting the machine to use! I'm getting close with the ORD Bot! Hopefully this coming week...

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks!

Beats having the lawn get long while waiting for the part (which is what happened last time --- ordered a fist full of spares, but they've all been installed (and broken) save for the last one (which is installed, but not broken)...).

For the record, printed this w/ my ``RepStrapOko'': http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/RepStrapOko

and have been trying to document what I've learned about 3D printing on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing

mllehman

Post by mllehman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Will, any chance that you would be interested in selling two roller brackets?

I have an old Great States reel mower that came with my house when I bought it in 1989, and one of the old brackets has broken for just the reasons that you referenced.

Please let me know if you would be able to create and send me two roller brackets and at what cost for the brackets + shipping.

Thanks,

Mike Lehman

UPDATED:

Will, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I was unable to respond back or compose an email as I am a new user and do not have those rights.

Thank you for your offer to provide me with your spare roller brackets. Please contact me at michael.l.lehman@gmail.com to exchange contact information.

Again, many thanks!

Mike

XRT9

Post by XRT9 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:24 pm

just wondering what type of filament did you end up using and how is it holding it up?
Do you leave the mower outside?

Thanks!

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 am

I used PLA, and the lawnmower was kept in a shed --- the plastic brackets lasted for a year or more.