PCB milling tutorial?

leisure cove

PCB milling tutorial?

Post by leisure cove » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:45 am

Hello! I was hoping someone might be able recommend a tutorial for milling PCBs on the Shapeoko-- a sort of "Dummies Guide" for people totally new to the process. I've been having a tough time finding one, and figured I'd ask here.

I'm using Eagle 7 to design the boards, but seem to be missing a step somewhere along the line when it comes to getting from Points A (design) to B (milling). If someone could recommend a walkthrough I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!

crazeegeek

Re: PCB milling tutorial?

Post by crazeegeek » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:10 am

Try this --> http://blog.inventables.com/2014/02/cir ... oko-2.html

There is no video but it was done using Eagle to .dxf to Adobe Illustrator to .svg to Makercam.

scott216

Post by scott216 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:41 am

What problem are you having? I also design my PCB in Eagle and mill on my Shapeoko.
Shapeoko 2 with DW660
grbl v0.9g
PCB Toolchain: Cadsoft Eagle > pcb-gcode > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
Other Toolchain: Fusion 360 > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
My Build Log

leisure cove

Post by leisure cove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Scott- I'm confused as to the exporting process from Eagle. I've tried exporting a .dxf from Eagle and opening it in Illustrator (to save it as an .svg), but the design gets resized (the pads are huge) in Illustrator which makes me think I'm making a mistake somewhere along the way.

Would you mind sharing your process with me? Thanks!!

scott216

Post by scott216 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 pm

leisure cove wrote:Scott- I'm confused as to the exporting process from Eagle. I've tried exporting a .dxf from Eagle and opening it in Illustrator (to save it as an .svg), but the design gets resized (the pads are huge) in Illustrator which makes me think I'm making a mistake somewhere along the way.

Would you mind sharing your process with me? Thanks!!
I use an Eagle script called pcb-gcode.ulp which will generate several gcode files you can use with the shapeoko. The script generates a top and bottom files for etch, mill, text and drill. You can get the script here: http://pcbgcode.org/list.php?12
The script from last April works fine with Eagle v7. You just install the script on your computer, and from Eagle you go File > Run ULP... , then navigate to pcb-gcode-setup.ulp.
You'll see a dialog box where you have to configure a bunch of stuff like tool diameter, feed rates and so on. Be sure to read the user's guide:
http://www.johnjohnson.info/wp-content/ ... bgcode.pdf

There is decent support at this Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pcb- ... s/messages
Shapeoko 2 with DW660
grbl v0.9g
PCB Toolchain: Cadsoft Eagle > pcb-gcode > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
Other Toolchain: Fusion 360 > Chilipeppr or GRBL Panel
My Build Log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:46 pm

You should read Scott's thread where he was walking through this early in his PCB experiments. There is some fantastic info in there.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

leisure cove

Post by leisure cove » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:00 pm

THANKS! A huge help. I will download pcb-gcode and get started. Much appreciated!

And thank you for the link to Scott's thread as well!

Hendrix

Post by Hendrix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:50 am

Hiii all ,

I have create PCB by dip trace and convert it to g cord by copper cam

after that i was loaded the g code file to mach 3 and run the machine.

but drawing scale is wrong. what is the reason my mach 3 is licence version

please give me solution

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:03 am

Mach 3 is commercial software — you should contact the company regarding licensing issues.

I believe LinuxCNC is a free alternative — back up your system, get a second Hard Drive, or boot from a thumb drive or CD and try that?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:29 pm

I know this thread is old, but I just came across it during my search for PCB milling experiences. Anyway, I wanted to share another thread that is fairly well presented over on the Carbide3D forum: Great results milling PCBs from Eagle with the Nomad. Since the Nomad used the Carbide Motion software, I felt it was pertinent to this discussion.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2