GrblGru = Free 3D-Simulation for ShapeOko2

GrblGru

Re: GrblGru = Free 3D-Simulation for ShapeOko2

Post by GrblGru » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:30 pm

I just want to inform you that an english manual for GrblGru is now available on my website.
Since I developed my program at the same time as I wrote the documentation, it is unfortunately already not 100% up to date. :(
Creating documentation is unfortunately not one of my strengths. Nevertheless, I hope that it can clarify one or the other open question. :)

Have fun with GrblGru
My workflow: Only a 2D-editor and GrblGru, that's it
Free download from https://GrblGru.com
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_AHk ... 61ZW4qBHWA

Alexmoon

Post by Alexmoon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:35 pm

GrblGru! Thank you for your work!

GrblGru

Post by GrblGru » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 am

Release notes V3.45

Lately I have unfortunately not been able to document the changes of GrblGru.
In fact, a lot of internal improvements have been made in the meantime, which will put the further development on a solid base.
But hopefully there have also been some improvements, especially in the area of simulation and the display of the tool path.
Also some new machine models like a new styrofoam cutter, a grinding machine or different robot arms have been added.
Finally the new editor mode has been added, which allows to scale, rotate and reposition selected geometric objects (DXF or SVG).

I hope that I will be able to deliver the corresponding documentation in the near future. :)
In the new video I have therefore dealt with the robot arms, which can be produced with 3D printers and are therefore quite cheap.

Have fun with GrblGru

cnc_4_free

Post by cnc_4_free » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi there,

It's a while since I visited here.. but I have a question re grblgru and simulating 5 axis machines... I'm trying to simulate a couple of XYZBC machines.. One is Colin Doughty's Head/Head machine... and the other is a smaller Head/Table configuration. I've attached a couple of images and a very short animation so you can see what I'm trying to do a bit more clearly.

I don't have any difficulty getting the machines into Grblgru.. I've read the manual and looked at the more exotic machine types you have in Grblgru.. but still don't really understand how you use an A axis to substitute for C.. I notice that on the Grblgru RobotArm5Axes machine you DO have a rotary C axis.... I just can't find the way to replicate this....any help would be greatly appreciated...

Many Thanks for your continuing work with Grblgru..

Yohudi
XYZBC HeadHead.mp4
(340.38 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Desktop.jpg
Here's a test of the head/table config based on a Hybrid5D machine.
Desktop.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Attachments
GrblgruDesktop.jpg
GrblgruDesktop.jpg (267.13 KiB) Viewed 4193 times

cnc_4_free

Re: GrblGru = Free 3D-Simulation for 5 axis

Post by cnc_4_free » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi again,

just to say I worked it out... and should have been obvious.... but I made the mistake of leaving an extra file in the stl import directory.. and noticed that the machine STL import brought the extra STL in....

so I thought.... what if I saved my C axis out of the modeller.. to a C+.stl file... and then removed the A+.stl I had previously configured as a C axis... as per the Hybrid5D definition... and lo and behold... that's the way it works.... and rotating the C Axis via the control spinner buttons produces C axis commands in the readouts etc.... Have yet to get to grips with simulating my 5-axis gcode... but will post results as soon as I have... this could be VERY useful...

couple of images bellow..

TTFN

Yohudi
GrblGru XYZBC setup.jpg
The Grblgru gui showing machine setup... I notice there's no Zero button on C axis.... my mistake obviously
GrblGru XYZBC setup.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Attachments
GrblgruXYZBC.jpg
The updated machine now sporting true C axis.
GrblgruXYZBC.jpg (268.18 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

GrblGru

Post by GrblGru » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm

@cnc_4_free
Glad to have you back. And of course you're doing interesting things again. :)

Can you please provide me with your 3D model ? I am currently developing functions for the 5-axis robot arm to weld or paint on objects of any shape. I would like to test if this would also work with the Doughty Drive Unit.
Let me know if something doesn't work out the way you expect. I'll be happy to help.
(I sent you a PM)

cnc_4_free

Re: recent PM

Post by cnc_4_free » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:54 am

Hi there,

happy to be remembered... especially as doing 'interesting things'.. :D Hopefully I can try some interesting 5-Axis things this time..

No doubt like many others, I was impressed to see you have successfully tested Grblgru G2 and MEGA 5x based prototype motion-controllers. Simulation and execution of the 5-Axis gcode from Grblgru could be very far-reaching....

I' have been busy (and quiet) for a while... making simultaneous 5-Axis toolpaths for XYZAC and XYABC Head / Head ... and more recently Head/Table machines.. Testing methods / success, on the machines I approximated in the .mp4 and images. They are REAL machines designed by Colin Doughty.... and there's still youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krn4i8eSEIA of the machine in the animation running an 'interesting' job.

I will need to ask Colin Doughty about sharing the Head/Table model... even though it is only a VERY rough approximation. I'll email you directly about this... I was looking for a way to reply via p.m. but (boomer-mistake)... could not detect the method to do so..

Best Regards

cnc4free

Alexmoon

Post by Alexmoon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 pm

GrblGru wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm
Hi maestro! :)
Congratulations on your exciting new release!
As long as you defeat 5-axis machines, I cannot master the simple operation of code correction using a height map.
I scrupulously repeat all the actions on the example of your video.
But I do not get a similar result.
GrblGru.jpg
GrblGru.jpg (224.74 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
My result:
Projected1.jpg
Projected1.jpg (256.9 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Do you remember, perhaps, some trick not included in the video?
I also noticed a small problem: after scanning, the probe drops to the position Z = 0, and then crawls to the zero point.
Probing1.jpg
Probing1.jpg (370.34 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Regards, Alex.

GrblGru

Post by GrblGru » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:53 am

Oops, you're right.There's something wrong.
Give me some time, please. I need to take a closer look.

cnc_4_free

Post by cnc_4_free » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Alexmoon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 pm
GrblGru wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm
Hi maestro! :)
Congratulations on your exciting new release!
As long as you defeat 5-axis machines.......
Regards, Alex.
Hi 'Maestro' and Alex...

Please accept my thanks and congratulations on 5-Axis performance in latest beta.... This will be so useful for testing, education, safety, cut-optimisation etc etc...

A short video (edited, compressed and 3x speed to reduce attachment size)
normals10.mp4
(881.58 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
An image from the end of the simulation...It shows close proximity of head and table at end of final pass.. This type of preview is invaluable... to have it available on the basis of a machine definition... and a gcode file is an outstanding acheivement...
normals (Time 0_02_25;17).jpg
normals (Time 0_02_25;17).jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
A final image shows a step further.... it's an example from an earlier test that includes use of the 3D .stl the code was made from in the simulation... I was unhappy with the way I had positioned the gcode and object in the video... this was a first attempt at setting up this type of simulation..
withSTL.jpg
withSTL.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Again, to have this kind of realistic preview that includes a view of the machine (+fixtures), the gcode toolpath and the source 3D geometry is a real benefit to anyone interested in exploiting 5-Axis strategies now.. or in the future. To require only Grblgru, the gcode and source geometry to be able to do this is very liberating....

Once again... I cannot say thank you... or express congratulations enough for this top work..

TTFN

Yohudi