Hardboard Spray Stencils

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
hanselcj

Hardboard Spray Stencils

Post by hanselcj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 am

Someone else on the forum mentioned using metal flashing to create spray paint stencils. I liked the idea and was trying to cut out card stock with my swivel cutter attachment. Sadly, it isn't a very reliable method. Instead I changed course and went with hardboard (sometimes called masonite). It is a pretty easy material to mill, but left a small amount of fuzz at some edges. A knife removed most of it. Here is the finished product:

It is my rendition of a varroa mite. They infest honey bee colonies and are horrible horrible creatures. I have a beehive in my backyard and wanted them to have some sweet decor.

I thought I was being clever by cutting up the NO cross out thing, but apparently the image isn't symmetric. I must have biased the slash up or down a bit without realizing it. Oh well, you live and learn

Both jobs were done with a up-cut spiral 1/8" bit. The material is about an 1/8" thick. I used 30ipm, and set it to do 1/16" per pass. I could probably get a lot more aggressive and be fine. So yeah, try hardboard for you stencils, but don't follow my lead on screwing up the design.

More pictures and info at my blog: http://kiltedcraftworks.com/2015/04/23/ ... s-stencil/
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

Woodworker

Re: Hardboard Spray Stencils

Post by Woodworker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 am

That appeared to work well. You might also try 1/8" plywood, it might not have as much fuzz.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:50 am

Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:14 am

MeanderBolt wrote:Or use a 0 helix 3 Flute...
That's a really inexpensive straight bit, but for fuzz and chip out a spiral bit is nice. I guess I'm being too picky.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am

woodworkerbob wrote:
MeanderBolt wrote:Or use a 0 helix 3 Flute...
That's a really inexpensive straight bit, but for fuzz and chip out a spiral bit is nice. I guess I'm being too picky.

Bob
Those are good bits, I have some of them. I was looking for the bottom surface to be clean. Maybe I will try a straight flute next time.
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.