A better Fusion360 - GRBL PostProcessor

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
strooom

A better Fusion360 - GRBL PostProcessor

Post by strooom » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:54 am

If you are using Fusion360 for your designs, and mill them on a GRBL based machine, then take a look at

https://github.com/Strooom/GRBL-Post-Processor

I took the existing GRBL PostProcessor and cleaned it up to make it better.
If you have a Makita RT0700 or Dewalt 611 or similar, it also translates the spindle speeds to a dial setting.
If you make mistakes in your design, the post-processor will alert you and recommmend how to solve them.

It's free, documented, feedback & test-results are welcome.

heathenx

Re: A better Fusion360 - GRBL PostProcessor

Post by heathenx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank-you. :)
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches

Ric

Post by Ric » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:28 pm

By any chance, does this raise the tool at the beginning, before going to the location of the first cut? One problem I often have with Fusion360 is that in the beginning the tool is moved to the location of the first cut, without being raised. This often creates a mark on the stock. It would be nice if it were raised before moving to the location of the first cut, and then lowered.
But thanks for doing this; I'll install and test it soon.

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am

It has been a while, but isn't there a "safety height' or something like that? I would think this would be the place to set that height so it wouldn't scrape along the board like that.
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

JAMIEKING

Post by JAMIEKING » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 pm

I know this is an old topic but it is still relevant as I have had similiar issues with the stock fusion processor.
I have a dirty hack that will lift the z as the first command.
I also moved the string that starts the spindle and added a short dwell to allow the spindle to ramp up to full speed
lastly I forced in an M5 at the end of the program as for some reason it never worked for me and I had to manually add it every time

not sure how to upload the cps here but if anyone is interested I ill endeavour to find a way

BrokenPoet

Post by BrokenPoet » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 am

I just received a Shapeoko 3 and am fighting the M5 battle myself. I've looked through the post-processor code, but can't figure out where/how to insert an M5 at the end of the code. I'm also trying to figure out how to remove the "T1 M6" command at the beginning of the code.