Z Axis clicks then loses depth - HELP!

drummer412

Z Axis clicks then loses depth - HELP!

Post by drummer412 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 pm

I just started experiencing this today after several successful runs over the past few weeks. When I begin my job now using a 1/8 bit, it makes a clicking noise on the z axis as soon as it hits the wood (birch plywood). It runs smoothly for a few seconds, maybe 5-10, then makes the clicking sound again. After the second or third time it does this, it begins losing almost all depth for the job. It will barely touch the wood and does most passes in the air. Is this a tension problem or something else? Thanks for any assistance!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Z Axis clicks then loses depth - HELP!

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Usually, horrible noises are electronic --- that said, there have been some oddities --- most notably a V-wheel which was tensioned so far out of round it was making wavy lines.

Given that it happens when the motor is under load, but not other times, I'd think electronic --- please check all the connections --- if your machine has extension cables and you have a multimeter, please use it to check continuity for those wires.

If there isn't an electronic connection gone wrong to set right, and if a mechanical review of your machine yields nothing obviously wrong, please contact support@carbide3d.com and someone will puzzle this out --- probably not until Monday I'm afraid, the above is all that I know to try (except for swapping the X and Z motor and homing switch connections and seeing if it's the motor or the stepper driver --- might have to swap the X-axis to make that work).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Bonch

Post by Bonch » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Check the two set screws in the Z-axis pulley. They are probably not tight and one of them is likely not on the flat of the motor.

drummer412

Post by drummer412 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Forgive me for not knowing where the set screws are. I don't have a diagram in front of me at the moment. How do I go about doing this?

drummer412

Post by drummer412 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm

So I have not made any adjustments to the machine. I had another project that uses the same bit, so I tried to run it to see if I experienced the same issues. This project was with cedar, so I just positioned the new board on top of the old one that was already secured with tape. I have not had the same issues with this job. It seems to be running fine. Could it be a height issue, meaning the plywood is too low for the spindle to reach? I wouldn't think the birch plywood would be too terribly different from the cedar to cause that type of issue I was having earlier.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:22 pm

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/169-s ... set-screws

Try removing one of the springs when doing cuts which are so far down --- or add a spoilboard to bring the work up to a more reasonable height.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

drummer412

Post by drummer412 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 am

So after adding a thick spoilboard, I was able to run the job with no issues. I guess it was just too low for the machine to handle properly. Crisis averted! Thanks for the help, guys.