router choices

Jack9580

router choices

Post by Jack9580 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:22 am

I'm going to start my adventure into the world of CNC. I have decided on a Shapeoko 3(I haven't decided on the size). I am a wood worker with a large number of routers. The problem I have is I don't have any of the recommended routers. I do have some larger routers. My choices without buying a new router are a Dewalt DW618(2 1/2 HP) and a Porter Cable 7516(3 1/4 HP).

My question is can the Shapeoko handle either of these routers?

I am guessing I would at least need to upgrade the stepper motors.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: router choices

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Actually, the motors are over-specced and should handle the weight / torque, and the extrusion does quite well also --- just a hint of sag w/ some of the larger routers.

You'll need a new mount, and may want to add some Delrin V wheels --- the problem is the larger diameter increases lever effects, and will reduce the on-wasteboard cutting area.

See https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options and be sure to get something with variable speed.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Jack9580

Post by Jack9580 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:50 pm

That’s good to know the motors can handle the weight.

What about the belts?

Why delrin wheels? If I need to change them why not do a metal wheels? Say stainless or titanium with 2 narrow bearings. I’m sure there’s a reason I’m not thinking of.

As far as flex in the extrusion. Would it be possible to install a reinforcement within the extrusion? I was thinking a piece of aluminum box that fits just loose, so it would slide into the extrusion without causing distortion. And then filling around the box with a structural epoxy. That should make it super stiff without adding too much weight.

I’m not too concerned with the inch or so loss on the waste table. I will most likely make a aluminum table with some t-tracks around the outside.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 am

The big reason why we use Delrin wheels is WEAR.
Now the wheels are the weakest part and will slowly wear down and need to be replaced.
But Steel or harder wheels will grind down the aluminium profiles they run on, and replacing them is far costlier and much more difficult.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Back in the SO1/2 days, folks did all sorts of reinforcements --- adding structure to reinforce this w/o adding excess weight is going to be difficult --- I don't think a box w/in a box will help much.

One thing I was looking at a while back was a criss-crossing series of tensioned wires at angles, but I couldn't convince myself that they would help enough to make up for the added mass. An alternate option, albeit at a double-mass penalty would be to add a counterbalance weight for the router --- the problem is the doubled mass changes the loading in odd ways.

As Gadgetman! noted, folks have done steel wheels --- it doesn't end well. Occasionally replacing the Delrin wheels (see the SO3 maintenance kit) is a reasonable compromise.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CrazyBillybob

Post by CrazyBillybob » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Only way the steel wheels work well is if you pick up some hardened steel V track for them to ride on. Here's an example http://www.vgrooverail.com/ I have no affiliation with these guys, nor do I know anything about their product...I just did a Google search and they were the first hit. I know this site has come up in these types of conversation here in the past. (this link is not an endorsement).

I'm in the middle of a SO2 upgrade right now I hope to have a post up with what I have done to increase the size and stiffen it soon. (it's nothing new I just looked at what others here have done and what worked well and copied it! Adding steel, doubling up maker slides etc) Let me know if any of that info might be of some use.

CBB

Jack9580

Post by Jack9580 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks for the insights. I have some more thinking to do.

arikjames

Post by arikjames » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 am

The huge motivation behind why we utilize Delrin wheels is WEAR. One thing I was taking a gander at a while back was a befuddling arrangement of tensioned wires at edges, however I couldn't persuade myself that they would help enough to compensate for the additional mass. A substitute alternative, though at a twofold mass punishment is include an offset weight for the switch - the issue is the multiplied mass changes the stacking in odd ways. As a matter of fact, the engines are over-specced and should deal with the weight/torque, and the expulsion does great likewise - only a trace of list w/a portion of the bigger switches.

landbrad

Post by landbrad » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 am

I just replaced both bearings in my RT0701 trim router and now the collet (prob the armature actually) is heating up more than I'd like. Realizing it's time for an upgrade I considered a 2.2kw spindle with a VFD but hardwiring 220v is not an option in my rented condo. I need at LEAST the same power output as the Makita delivers for cutting hardwoods like maple, mahogany, rosewood, etc.
After a little research, I discovered the Makita RF1101, a lightweight and fairly compact full size 11 amp router. The body is 82.5mm wide only 25% larger than the RT0701. It's listed at 7.2 lbs and I estimate without the base it will tip the scales at approx 5 lbs. With the exception of a new spindle mount and prob some heavier springs I'd like to think my Shapeoko XL will support this slightly heavier router. I searched the RF1101 here and no results came up. Does anyone have any insight on the RF1101 and/or upgrades necessary for a S3 XL to accommodate the added weight...?