Need Step-by-Step Guidance

Need Step-by-Step Guidance

Postby allenc » Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 am

For weeks I have been researching, trying different pieces of software, looking at what seems like hundreds of tutorials and YouTube videos. And I am totally confused.

What I am asking for:
• Specifications for my graphics designer to create art and best file format
• Steps and software recommendations for making this art into standard pieces I can load into CAD software and subsequently place in a CNC “job packet’
• Recommendations on the best way to v-carve the names, dates, etc. the customer specifies.
• How to get the customizations into the “job packet.”
• How to quickly/simply define tool paths as in Carbide Create Design.
• Then I’ll take the paths into Carbide Create Toolpaths. But I need guidance on when to use Contour, Vcarve and Texture.
• References I can use to best structure the order of the toolpaths for best or at least good CNC practices.

I am very comfortable learning new software but I am a CNC novice. I am willing to buy software if free-ware will not do the job.

What I am trying to do:

Items similar to the attached image but customized for each customer. Artwork of my own, not photos

Where is what is going on.
My wife and I are starting a garage-based business producing home décor items that have a standard base of elements with options for the customer to order customizations as desired. The initial product lines are entry-way, wall mounted coat hooks, coat hooks for the bath and a line of kid’s coat hooks and name plates. Later products for special markets like police and fire professionals will be added.

The Initial Product
• For one basic product, entryway coat hook, the product is made of pine and measures about 30 in by 12 in tall.
• There are 3 panels, each about 8 in x12in. The center panel will be customized per order with names, dates, welcome to the [insert name].
• The two outside panels will contain my stock artwork and CNC routed elements. Other coat hooks will be of similar design appropriate for kid’s bedrooms, etc.

I have basic woodworking skills and tools to make all the components with the exception of CNC v-carving and later laser engraving.

Some of What I Tried
• Sketchup
• MS Publisher exported to Paint to save bmp, png, jpeg, then into Inkscape and Carbide Create.
• I had a graphic artist work up some standard art (simple line drawings) in jpeg format.
• I have attempted to import the art into Inkscape and perform a “trace a bitmap.”
o Even after I hit Path Simplify many times, I see about a billion nodes and all sorts of artifacts (“dribbles, strange pockets, random shapes, etc.).
o I tried hand deleting errant nodes in Inkscape, way too time consuming for any kind of real product production.
• I tried tracing the art in Carbide Create—same issue—too time consuming.
• I can create text elements in Carbide Create and make what appears to be reasonable tool paths (at least according to the Simulator)

You cannot imagine how grateful I will be for any advice you can give.

Thank you,
Allen
Attachments
Similar Product.jpg
Similar Product.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 513 times
allenc

Re: Need Step-by-Step Guidance

Postby WillAdams » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Don't use pixel images, have a vector tool such as Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape used and create a .svg --- Import the SVG into Carbide Create and process there.

If the files are suitably standardized and only include text it's possible that you could set this up so that you create a Carbide Create file programmatically, or just by concatenating a beginning / end file around the customized text in the middle.

E-mail in to support@carbide3d.com --- we just answered a similar query there and I should be able to dig it out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby allenc » Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Will,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I'll tell my graphic artist to create only vector art. I didn't realize the pixel-based art was causing so much to trouble. But once you pointed me in that direction, it makes sense now.

Can you recommend some resources for how to best structure my tool paths. Literally all I know about CNC is start from the inside out. Similarly, I just need a tutorial that takes me by the hand and leads me through the CNC process. I can find plenty of information about small steps, like bit geometry, various software packages, but I need a macro overview. I have read numerous articles about CNC steps and I have read Edward Ford's book, "Getting Started in CNC."

Hmmm, just as I typed that many things in the book seemed to click. I guess i was stalled at the first step, getting art into Carbide Create and was getting tunnel vision. It is great to have someone to communicate with--makes me rethink my concepts. I will re-read Ford's book, I bet it will make more sense this time through.

Please accept my thanks. Best regards,

Allen
allenc

Postby WillAdams » Wed May 02, 2018 2:41 pm

We've tried to cover this in the tutorials: http://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/#shapeoko-tutorials

and there are some additional ones at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... _tutorials and the following section.

Note that we have a standing offer --- if you have trouble with a file or project, send it in to support@carbide3d.com and we'll do our best to help, if need be, working up a step-by-step tutorial (that's where most of those come from).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby allenc » Wed May 02, 2018 2:55 pm

I've looked at the tutorials, but again probably tunnel vision. I will revisit tutorials after re-reading Ford's book with a specific view of processing for my first project.

I was not aware of the offer of help on individual projects--what a great service!

Thank you very much

Allen
allenc

Postby allenc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 am

Just an update...

I have a post that provides a list of info for assembly of the SO3

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9312

Hope this helps.

Allen
allenc

Return to Software - CAD, CAM, Workflow Help