[SOLVED] Cutter did not respond

Talk about all things CNC

[SOLVED] Cutter did not respond

Postby bushwookie » Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 pm

I did a lot of searching online to try and solve this problem, but nothing worked so I'm writing what worked for me.

Shapeoko 3 powers on. Carbide Motion installed correctly. SO3 is 100% recognised when plugging in.
Symptoms: When opening up Carbide Motion and clicking the "Connect" button, the software looks like its working but then cuts out with the "Cutter did not respond" error message. Also, if you click on the "Jog" tab, another error shows up saying "Machine parameters invalid" or similar.

Things I tried:
Uninstalling Carbide Motion
Restarting betwen Uninstallations/Reinstallations
Pressing the reset button
Enabling and disabling the COM port in devmgmt.msc
Changing the baudrate of the COM port in devmgmt.msc
Downloading Carbide Create and running that at the same time
Buying USB galvanic isolators
Buying USB leads with ferrites on them.
Trying different computers (this actually worked, my desktop could run the shapeoko, which gave me hope)
Updating to Carbide Motion 4 and GRBL 1.1 - this failed by the way, even on the desktop, even with changing the baudrates and bridging the Z-limit pins.
Next on my list: Hitting it with a hammer

Solution:
I downloaded UGS aka Universal GCode Sender. Once installed, I ran the start-windows.bat which executed the java app. Once opened, I changed the COM port to 3 (may be different for you) and the baudrate to 115200. Then clicked the "Start" button. The jog controls in UGS worked after that.

To confirm I had fixed it, I went back to Carbide Motion and tried to connect that way. Initially, I encountered an error because UGS was still open and connected, but i stopped the connection and closed UGS. Then i was able to connect via Carbide Motion like there was never a problem...

This took me 4+ weeks to solve, I hope I can save someone else that time.

Regards,

bushwookie
bushwookie

Re: [SOLVED] Cutter did not respond

Postby WillAdams » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks for posting that --- I brought your Facebook post to the attention of the developers and we're trying to puzzle this out now.

At a guess, Carbide Motion failed to update the listing for the Dialout group, but UGS did so correctly.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby bushwookie » Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Yes very strange, hopefully you guys can make sense of it. Although it is new to me, i'm told it was bought on release in 2015. It has no stickers, no limit switches, a proper rats nest of wires and the PCB is only half enclosed! Vintage, im sure :)

Well, the old thing is nothing if not stubborn. Currently running but everything is half the size it should be. Drew a VERY cute hello world that was about 4" long!
bushwookie

Postby AnonymousPerson » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am

bushwookie wrote:Currently running but everything is half the size it should be. Drew a VERY cute hello world that was about 4" long!

Ahhh, that sounds familiar. From memory, the same problem was happening for me when I upgraded my old (original release) Shapeoko 3 electronics board to the newer GRBL + Carbide Motion 4. One group of settings needed changing so things cut at the correct size.

If you take a look at the standard GRBL settings (at the bottom here):

http://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/ ... -settings/

In the table there you'll notice the $100, $101, $102 settings are each set to "40.000" steps per millimetre. Check what yours are (use the "$$" command to GRBL) and compare. You might need to halve or double your current settings for those. I don't remember which, but play around with it and you'll figure it out. :)
Last edited by AnonymousPerson on Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #516
AnonymousPerson

Postby WillAdams » Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Do you have a Stepoko board?

If so, check your settings for micro-stepping.

If not, calibrate for belt stretch per: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/ ... t-stretch/

and see: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/jupyte ... ebook/8819
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby bushwookie » Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Sorted it. Ran the same gcode through UGS and it worked perfectly.

$100, $101, $102 were all at 40.00, but i didnt need to change them in the end as UGS solved it.

Also turns out my machine has a much larger Z axis plate than the later models, so i'm unsure if the suckit boot will fit i just ordered!
bushwookie

Postby bushwookie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 pm

WillAdams wrote:Do you have a Stepoko board?

If so, check your settings for micro-stepping.

If not, calibrate for belt stretch per: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/ ... t-stretch/

and see: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/jupyte ... ebook/8819

I don't think its a stepoko board, its not red and neither is anything on the machine. But then again, I dont know much about these, so it may be!
bushwookie

Postby AnonymousPerson » Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Awesome. Sounds like you're up and running then. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516
AnonymousPerson

Return to Discussion