How do you organise your project files

Talk about all things CNC

How do you organise your project files

Postby GerryAttrick » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:35 pm

I wasn't sure whether to post this under software or here so mods feel free to move it if necessary

This might become more obvious to me once I actually start cutting some projects but I am currently in the process of assembling my Shapeoko3. I am also trying to learn Vcarve using the free trial.

When you set up a project do you create a folder for it and then place in that folder, the CAM and CAD files along with maybe photos of the project and perhaps a pdf outlining the project. If you create a tracing of a picture for a project would you file it in this file and in the clipart folder?

I am fairly computer literate and don’t have any issues with normal Word/Excel files but I am not sure if a different approach is required to keep CNC project files tidy.

I thought I might as well get things set up at the outset rather than try and sort out a jumble of files later.

I would appreciate some sharing of how others do it. I have posted this to the Vectric forum also to see if there is a different response from VCarve users as opposed to other CAD/CAM software
GerryAttrick

Re: How do you organise your project files

Postby WillAdams » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:10 pm

I just put everything on the wiki --- it sorts things pretty naturally and I'm sure to be able to find it later. Usually I just make a local folder and stuff things into it, making sub-folders as needed for a given project.

I have begun putting stuff on cutrocket.com: https://cutrocket.com/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Return to Discussion