Text size inconsistent/wrong on CarbideCreate

Text size inconsistent/wrong on CarbideCreate

Postby 172pilot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm trying to make some basic signs, with text, and I'm trying to get 2 lines of text to be the same size on the sign.. I create one line, then the other, and set the text height to exactly the same number, and they end up completely different sizes. What could I possibly be doing wrong? It doesn't happen all the time, but I've attached an example, and it does happen on other files.. The first line says "Tall Grass Meadow" and if I set the width to perfectly fit my board, it shows the height of 1.259, so I add the second line: Loop Trails, and manually set the height to 1.259, but the text remains smaller, even though there's plenty of room for it to be the same size as the top line..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.. I'm a beginner on this!!
-Steve
Attachments
Tall Grass Meadow Loop Trails.nc
File with wrong text sizes
(92.6 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
172pilot

Re: Text size inconsistent/wrong on CarbideCreate

Postby WillAdams » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, Carbide Create measures the physical size of the text.

Best if you want a consistent setting to either use a 3rd party tool (Inkscape makes a good front-end and is free: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Inkscape )

Or, set all the text in one line so it's consistently sized and then use a Boolean operation to break it into paths and then reposition things manually.

If you don't do that, you'll need to scale each line to be the right size which takes a bit of trial and error. If you have trouble with that, send the file in to support@carbide3d.com and we'll do our best to help.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby 172pilot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:36 am

Thanks for the response... But, I dont think I'm understanding.. "The Physical size of the text".. That's what I'm trying to make the same.. Sometimes it works fine, but in the cases where there's a problem, if I have 2 lines of text and I've set the height the same, they come out different sizes, even though it SAYS they're the same..
Sorry - I know I must be missing something obvious, but if I have 2 lines of text, and both say they're the same height, shouldn't the same letter appearing in both lines be the same height? They're not.. at least sometimes..

Sorry for being dumb here, but what aspect of the "physical size" is it measuring?

TIA!!
-Steve
172pilot

Postby WillAdams » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 am

The problem is, rather than measuring the text's em square derived bounding box as most programs do, Carbide Create measures the physical extent of the outline of the text as set.

You can see this by setting two different text blocks. Set one to a period, set the other to be a capital letter and a period --- not the perceived size difference.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Return to Software - CAD, CAM, Workflow Help