Z-axis problems...

Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
CNC_T0ny

Z-axis problems...

Post by CNC_T0ny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello all,
I'm new to CNC and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but recently I'm running into an issue with my Z-axis. I have a Shapeoko XXL and while the first several projects have turned out great, now as the project progresses it seems to lose it's Z-axis settings. I noticed the z-axis belt slipping a while back, it tightened it and all was fine. Now the belt no longer slips, but as the project progresses to around 25% the bit is no longer touching the wood and making passes above the wood. Needless to say the project does not get finished properly. Any suggestions? HELP!
Attachments
IMG_9890 (1).jpg
IMG_9890 (1).jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Z-axis problems...

Post by WillAdams » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 pm

The Z-axis can be tricky --- if you have good belt tension, then you may want to test removing one spring.

Consider removing the M4 bolt, putting a thin bead of threadlock on and allowing it to dry, then reinstalling it --- that seems to help it stay in place while maintaining adjustability.

Make sure that your router is adjusted as low as it can be (flip the Z-axis spindle carriage mount to the bottom if using it) and you've got adequate stickout on the endmill.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

CNC_T0ny

Re: Z-axis problems...

Post by CNC_T0ny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm

WillAdams wrote:The Z-axis can be tricky --- if you have good belt tension, then you may want to test removing one spring.

Consider removing the M4 bolt, putting a thin bead of threadlock on and allowing it to dry, then reinstalling it --- that seems to help it stay in place while maintaining adjustability.

Make sure that your router is adjusted as low as it can be (flip the Z-axis spindle carriage mount to the bottom if using it) and you've got adequate stickout on the endmill.
Thank WillAdams for your help. I checked everything that you mentioned and I found out that the plywood that I was carving had a significant difference in the thickness from one edge to the other. After finding another piece of lumber, the sign turned out great! I had no idea that the plywood had the much, non visual, differences in its dimensions. Now I know better to measure all sides of my lumber before using it. Thanks for your help! :D