New eShapeoko builder with questions...

Baxter

New eShapeoko builder with questions...

Post by Baxter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to talk about the eShapeoko, but it seems to be where the experts live...

I'm building an eShapeoko and have no experience with CNC. I want it primarily for cutting balsa and thin ply, so it will not be a high-stress machine. It's 1m x 500mm.

The eShapeoko site is good on mechanics, which is mainly what it sells, but less comprehensive on electronics. I have a couple of questions about these:

1 - Is it possible/sensible to mount the Arduino controller and drivers ON the X axis carriage? This carriage holds all 4 motors, and the wiring would be much shorter and simpler if it were all mounted here rather than being laid along the rails of the machine from an outside box. Mounting it here would mean that only one power lead and one data lead would need to be led out of the machine body (as well as a possible few manual control leads).

2 - I am finding it difficult to trace a wiring diagram which covers limit switches, homing diagrams and connections for manual movement. I assume that these are normal services to put on an eShapeoko?

Hope to hear from you...Happy New Year!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: New eShapeoko builder with questions...

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, that mounting should be workable --- the Shapeoko 3 uses something similar: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/shapeoko/

One concern about such a mounting is that you get a lot of motion in the USB cable --- for this reason, I feel that using longer motor wires which are properly secured at the ends is better.

There are various wiring diagrams on the wiki, but I'm sure that Catalin can provide you with one which perfectly matches what you wish to do --- just ask.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks for the rapid response!

Neither the Arduino USB link nor its power jack have a lockable connector - so there is a concern that movement might dislodge either of these? Or are you concerned about the effect of vibration on the electronics generally? Both of these issues should be able to be sorted - but only if I was aware of them in advance, of course, for which I thank you. It looks as if mounting the electronics on a sponge pad and securing the input cables would meet the bill.

For limit switches and the like I can find this sort of thing on the Web - but you can see that it really doesn't give a definitive answer: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=279682.0

I assume that most systems will have a switch for manually single-stepping in each direction - and perhaps other controls - but I can't find any data about that at all.

And does the Shapeoko have a mount at the non-driven end of a leadscrew? As far as I can see the eShapeoko leaves it hanging free, and I thought that it might vibrate...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Was concerned about the cables for motion.

What we have is on the wiki: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Home/Limit_Switches

The SO1 and SO2 were free spinning at the end, though Brandon (Improbable Construct) had a neat Acme upgrade which addressed that as well.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks - all that is helpful. I think Catalin has a detailed description of limit switch wiring with all possible variations on his forum, but it's hard to find...

P.S. - This looks like the thread I wanted to find - https://amberspyglass.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2