Is the Shapeoko the right tool for me? Marine Acrylic Work

Talk about all things CNC
ShawnQ

Is the Shapeoko the right tool for me? Marine Acrylic Work

Post by ShawnQ » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:01 pm

First post! Thanks for having me!

I've been doing some research, and wanted to hear from those who have experience.
Long story short - I'm looking to build dash panels for boats. I'm tired of having to send templates to Florida as they seem to have dozens of people that do this. I can't find anyone local who can do it, or at least no one who is proficient at it and knows the other associated products.

Will the Shapeoko work for these types of projects on a production level? Not dozens a day, but maybe 10-12/month?

Also, is it precise enough to cut small font as shown?

I realize the size of the panel will be a limiting factory, but very rarely will a panel be larger than the XXL allows.

Also, any good tricks/tips/links for engraving/backlighting like shown? Most of the ones I have seen use an opaque piece on the front, and a piece of vinyl, coat of paint, or some other paper used for blocking light. Basically end up cutting away to black, to reveal the opaque, which allows light to shine through. I know there is a better way, but haven't figured out how they do it.

Any advice is appreciated!

Markspens

Re: Is the Shapeoko the right tool for me? Marine Acrylic Wo

Post by Markspens » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 pm

The Shapeoko will certainly do what you need. There was a little learning curve for me but that is because I am fairly computer illiterate. I think you'd be happy with the results but that is just my opinion.

Mark