Z rail's eccentric nut keeps coming loose

Z rail's eccentric nut keeps coming loose

Postby sawdust_tycoon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:27 pm

I have been attempting some roughing with a 1/4" end bit on a rather large carve of MDF. On the last 3 attempts, after carving correctly for a while, the bit then travels beyond the board into negative X-axis territory (or once into extreme positive X-axis territory), where it should not be carving, ruining the piece. The erroneous travel is 6 to 8 inches from where the bit should be carving. I've checked my CAM using a simulator application and even manually inspected the G-Code. This problem is not the software. One obvious problem is that the lower eccentric nut on the Z plate has become loose and the lower wheel is no longer gripping the z rail. Each time, I re-tightened the eccentric nut (including the bolt), following the directions on Carbides website. I have 2 questions: (1) would it be a mistake to try to apply a tread-locking glue to threads of the bolt that couples with this eccentric nut, before rotating the nut for the appropriate cam tensioning? (2) Does anyone have any explanations as to why the X-axis movement suddenly becomes way off, as described. I can't understand why wobbly wheels on the Z rails causes the spindle to wander along the X axis.
sawdust_tycoon

Re: Z rail's eccentric nut keeps coming loose

Postby WillAdams » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:22 pm

1 - threadlock is the usual suggestion if a properly torqued nut and bolt won't hold --- please note for the eccentric nuts that once the nut/bolt are tensioned you have to turn the assembly in unison

2 - usually such issues are mechanical: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/FAQ#Mechanical
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Return to Assembly