Newbee question

Talk about all things CNC
gpal

Newbee question

Post by gpal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am

Hello,
I am familiar with the 4 axis mills used in the jewelry business and interested in the Shapeoko CNC router for wood. My question is can the Shapeoko cut out a bas relief of my drawing of the dog head posted? I would like to do wall ornaments of animals I draw.
Thanks in advance, George
Attachments
Lab bas relief.JPG
Lab bas relief.JPG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 118 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Newbee question

Post by WillAdams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Yes, given a suitable 3D model converted to G-Code, that sort of thing can be cut, so long as there are no undercuts (or if one sources a suitable endmill for undercuts and a CAM tool which can model them and G-Code which allows them).

You'd need to convert the drawing into a grayscale height/depth map and use a tool such as the Carbide 3D texture feature, or model it in 3D.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

gpal

Post by gpal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:47 pm

What programs are suggested for creating the G Code for this and what program reads the the G Code for Shapeco machines? All of my drawings are from a sculpting program called ZBrush.
Thanks again in advance ,George

rowiac

Post by rowiac » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:22 pm

A free solution would be to use Fusion 360 to create the gcode. ZBrush can export a file format that Fusion can read (.STL or .STEP for example) and the Manufacture tab in Fusion would be used to create the 3D toolpaths. There is a bit of a learning curve though, but there are lots of tutorials available on line.

A paid (expensive) solution would be to use Aspire or Carveco. Again there would some learning curve involved.